E-Cigarettes: Does the “E” Stand for Explosion?

E-Cigarettes: Does the “E” Stand for Explosion?

We all know that quitting tobacco is incredibly difficult, yet also incredibly important for our health. You have to start somewhere. On the third Thursday of every November, the American Cancer Society challenges the millions of Americans who smoke to stop for 24 hours, hoping that this one small step will be the beginning of a bigger change. There is no shortage of advice or products for those who wish to quit, including behavioral therapy, nicotine replacement therapy, and medications like Zyban and Chantix.

Another common option for many people who are trying to reduce how much they smoke or to quit altogether is electronic cigarettes. While there is some dispute over who invented these vapor cigarettes, the first commercially marketed device was created by a Chinese pharmacist and sold as a smoking-cessation device in 2004.

Available in the U.S. since 2007, vaping products have become so popular that they could out-sell traditional cigarettes as soon as 2023.

Fundamentally, rechargeable e-cigs are battery-powered vaporizers. The lithium-ion battery powers the cartomizer that turns nicotine liquid into the vapor that the user inhales. Like any other electronic device, the battery must be charged and eventually replaced. Charging methods include USB ports, standard electrical outlets and personal charging cases. However, the batteries and chargers that are necessary for e-cigarette use have been linked to explosions. While the industry’s response has been to blame the consumer by saying overheating may happen due to incompatible chargers, overcharging and insufficient safety precautions, perhaps the culprit is defective equipment or insufficient manufacturer safety warnings.

Incidents have occurred across the country. Just last month, a man in Kansas says he heard a sizzling after he charged the battery and put it in the device, which then burst into pieces that shot across the room like a rocket. The man suffered minor burns and claims that when he returned to the store where he bought the e-cigarette, he was told for the first time that he “needed to purchase a small computer chip to keep the battery from exploding.” A Florida man was placed in a medically induced coma after the e-cigarette he was smoking exploded, causing severe external and internal burns. Here in Georgia, a Cobb County man is still recuperating after an e-cigarette exploded in his face in July, giving him first-degree burns and blowing a dime-sized hole in the roof of his mouth. Back in 2013, a woman in Atlanta had plugged her e-cigarette into her computer when it shot four-foot flames across her living room. She used a rag to pull the device out, saving her home from catching on fire.

If you have any questions about this topic, or if you or someone you love has been injured by an electronic cigarette explosion, the Macon personal injury attorneys of the Mann Law Firm can review your case and advise you whether you have grounds to seek financial compensation. Call us today at (478) 742-3381 or submit our online form and let us help you.