Labor Weekend Ends Tragically For Three & Arrests For 18 On Georgia Waterways
Labor Day weekend is a time to spend with family and friends and just relax. Many Georgians take advantage of the numerous lakes, ponds and creeks to cool off during the long, late summer weekend. Unfortunately, this Labor Day took the lives of three people and resulted in arrests for 18 others.
Swimming, Diving & Kayaking Accidents Take Three Georgia Lives
According to The Telegraph
, the Georgia Department of Natural Resources reported that one person drowned, two others were killed and 18 more were arrested for boating while under the influence (BUI) on public waters over Labor Day weekend. Here’s what happened:
- Swimming Accident. The body of 45-year-old Atlanta resident, Ramiro Ponce-Ruiz, was recovered Monday afternoon after he drowned Sunday while swimming in Amicalola Creek near Dawsonville. Ponce-Ruiz was swimming at Devil’s Elbow in the Dawson Forest Wildlife Management Area and witnesses said that he struggled after diving into the water.
- Diving Accident. The body of 23-year-old Atlanta resident, Nicholas Alexander, was recovered approximately an hour after he jumped off a boat near Red Top Mountain State Park beach on Lake Allatoona on Sunday evening. He was with his family on a rental boat when he jumped into the water near the rock jetty, struggled and went under. Two people on shore tried, but failed to save him.
- Kayaking Accident. The body of 61-year-old Augusta resident, Ralph Edward Taylor, was recovered Sunday morning in Richmond County. Taylor’s companions found his empty kayak Saturday afternoon after they left him to go down more challenging rapids near an island.
In addition to the three tragedies, Georgia DNR rangers reportedly issued 18 BUI citations between Saturday and Monday, including two on Lake Sinclair, two on Lake Jackson and one on Lake Oconee. That total is up from six citations issued during the same weekend in 2012 and nine in 2011.
Mann Injury Law Firm
Sadly, the situations above show that accidents can happen when you are being careful, or when you’re around others whose judgment may be clouded. Intoxicated boaters can cause accidents and injuries that are every bit as serious as those caused drunk drivers. Regardless of how an injury occurs, it’s important to understand that you may be entitled to compensation if it was due to someone else’s negligence.
For more than 50 years, the experienced and aggressive personal injury attorneys at the Mann Law Firm have been helping the people in the Middle Georgia areas of Macon, Dublin, Warner Robins and Milledgeville obtain compensation for personal injuries or wrongful death involving:
- Accidents involving cars, trucks (including commercial trucks, 18-wheelers, transfer trucks), motorcycles, bicycles and pedestrians, drunk driving accident, distracted driving accidents (such as texting while driving and others)
- Injuries from premises liability including slip-and-fall accidents, dog bites or other animal attacks, swimming pool accidents, structural or faulty construction accidents and violent assault attributable to negligent security
- Injuries involving children including defective car seats, defective toys, swimming pool accidents and drowning and day care accidents
- Workplace injuries and workers’ compensation issues including falls, strains and back injuries, crushing injuries caused by heavy equipment or machinery and exposure to toxic chemicals or extreme temperatures
- Medical malpractice injuries caused by healthcare professionals, hospitals and medical centers
At The Mann Law Firm, we understand the impact a serious injury or an unexpected death can have on you and your family – especially when that loss was due to the recklessness or negligence of another. Any Middle Georgia resident or their family who has been injured deserves to be compensated and we can help you to determine and obtain the types of compensation to which you may be entitled, Contact The Mann Law Firm and speak to one of our aggressive and experienced attorneys so that we can help you realize that goal. Call us at 855-885-4898
to schedule a free consultation.