Let’s Talk About Drunk Driving for Alcohol Awareness Month
Excessive drinking is a major problem in the United States. Drinking too much leads to personal injuries, car accidents, violence, drowning, liver disease and even some forms of cancer.
But the good news is that all of us can take simple steps to avoid the misuse and abuse of alcohol. During Alcohol Awareness Month in April, all of us can help society by spreading the word about how to avoid alcohol abuse. We also can encourage our families, communities and individuals to get involved in this important public health effort.
As personal injury attorneys in Georgia who have seen how drinking can lead to terrible car accidents and injuries
, The Mann Law Firm strongly supports Alcohol Awareness Month
. We hope this month more people are reminded of the dangers of drinking too much, and especially the grave risks of drinking and driving.
How Alcohol Awareness Month Makes a Difference
This April, we can use this month to increase awareness about how alcohol is abused in the U.S. We also can learn and teach how we can take concrete steps to prevent alcohol abuse and misuse at home and in our cities and towns. Here are a few ways:
- Encourage your family and friends to make little changes in their routine. For example, keep track of how much they drink in a week. Ask them to set limits on how much they drink. A drink or two a day is generally fine. But drinking three or more drinks per day can lead to health risks, and makes drinking and driving much more dangerous, and usually illegal.
- Tell parents about the risks of drinking too much alcohol and encourage them to tell their children.
- Ask physicians and nurses to talk to patients about the health benefits of drinking less or even abstaining.
The Dangers of Drinking and Driving
The Mann Law Firm also wants to remind you of the serious risks of drinking and driving during Alcohol Awareness Month. If you drink and drive, you can face criminal and civil consequences. You can spend years in jail and could face a personal injury lawsuit and owe large sums to people you injured in a drunk driving crash.
Some of the dangers of drinking and driving include:
- Slower reaction times: When you have alcohol in your system, it affects your ability to respond effectively to basic driving conditions and situations. You are much more likely to have an accident even after having just one or two drinks.
- Poor coordination: Heavy drinking will affect vital driving motor skills, such as eye, hand and foot coordination. Without these skills, you are in grave danger of getting in an accident, hurting yourself and others.
- Poor concentration: Even just one drink can affect your ability to concentrate when you drive. There are many tasks you must handle at once to drive safely: staying in your lane, maintaining speed, avoiding dangers on the road, and stopping for cars in front of you.
Were You Injured By a Drunk Driver? Call The Mann Law Firm.
The Mann Law Firm understands the terrible consequences of drinking and driving
. Our Macon, Georgia attorneys have represented clients who have suffered devastating personal injuries from the negligence of drunk drivers. If you are one of them, make sure you call our Georgia legal offices today for a free legal consultation. You may be entitled to a large settlement for your injuries.