WHY DAVID MANN IS YOUR BEST CHOICE FOR YOUR MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER
AS AN ATTORNEY WHO ONCE WORKED WITH A LARGE INSURANCE COMPANY, DAVID MANN KNOWS THE TACTICS THAT INSURERS OFTEN USE TO TRY DENY CLAIMS OR PAY AS LITTLE AS POSSIBLE. FOR INSTANCE, WHEN A CAR AND MOTORCYCLE COLLIDE, THE INSURANCE COMPANY WILL OFTEN TRY TO BLAME THE MOTORCYCLIST.
Motorcycles are no match for larger vehicles and offer less protection for riders than vehicles equipped with airbags and seatbelts. When involved in an accident with a car or other vehicle, the likelihood of motorcyclists’ suffering serious injury and fatalities is great, especially if you are not wearing a helmet or protective clothing. Statistics show that in 2015, there were 29 times as many motorcycle deaths as car deaths nationwide. And those who survive a severe accident can be left incapacitated, unable to work and earn money, with their lives and relationships forever changed.
Among the most common injuries from motorcycle accidents are:Among the most common injuries from motorcycle accidents are:
- Head and neck injuries, including concussion, brain damage, or paralysis
- Road rash, and nerve and muscle damage caused by sliding across the road
- Leg, knee, and foot Injuries, including broken bones.
HOW OUR MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY CAN HELP YOU GET COMPENSATION FOR YOUR INJURIES
If you or a loved one has been injured or someone has died in a motorcycle accident that was caused by someone else’s negligence or fault, the motorcycle accident lawyers at the Mann Law Firm can help you get compensation for your losses and injuries. Our lawyers can take the burden off you by:
- Investigating the circumstances of the accident and how it happened
- Gathering evidence such as videos from surveillance or traffic cameras, police and first responder reports, and medical records
- Interviewing witnesses and first responders
- Hiring experts to reconstruct the accident and provide testimony
- Negotiating for a fair settlement with insurance companies and their lawyers, who will try to get you to accept a lowball offer
- Taking your case to court if negotiations break down.
As a motorcycle accident lawyer who is today dedicated to seeking maximum recovery for motorcycle accident victims in Macon and across Georgia, David Mann knows how to put his background and experience to use to benefit his clients in settlement negotiations and in court. Above all, he has a passion for protecting the rights of motorcycle crash victims – riders and passengers alike.
Call us today at (478) 742-3381 if you or a loved one has been hurt by another in a motorcycle accident, so we can get started with a free review of your case.
DAMAGES OUR MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT LAWYER CAN WIN FOR YOU
To win your case, our attorneys would have to show that another party, the defendant, was negligent and at fault for causing the accident. All drivers have a duty to drive responsibly and carefully to avoid accidents and injuring others. If someone neglects this duty, that party may be legally liable if a motorcyclist is injured as a result.
In a lawsuit, your attorney must establish that:
- You were owed a duty of care by the defendant.
- The defendant breached that duty of care.
- This breach caused your injuries.
- You suffered damages as a result.
In a successful lawsuit, our attorneys can win an award, called damages, for your losses and injuries. In Georgia, you may be entitled to both compensatory damages and punitive damages.
COMPENSATORY DAMAGES INCLUDE BOTH GENERAL AND SPECIAL DAMAGES
Special damages are for your monetary losses that have a specific dollar value. They include:
- medical and rehabilitation expenses
- property damage
- lost income from being unable to work.
General damages are those that do not have a specific dollar value, such as past and future pain and suffering.
WHEN CAN PUNITIVE DAMAGES BE AWARDED IN A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT CASE?
Punitive damages may also be awarded in some rare situations to punish the defendant. Under O.C.G.A., 51-12-5.1, punitive damages are awarded if there is “willful misconduct, malice, fraud, wantonness, oppression, or … conscious indifference to consequences.”
If a death has occurred, damages may include potential lifetime earnings of the deceased and lost intangible items, such as advice and companionship.
OUR MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY EXAMINES CAUSES OF CRASHES
Despite what insurance companies may argue, car drivers often cause crashes with motorcyclists. In fact, a recent study by the Florida Department of Transportation analyzed 10 years of motorcycle crashes within that state.
The study found that the drivers of the other vehicles were at fault in 60 percent of accidents.
If you were involved in a car-motorcycle collision, there are many ways the car driver may have caused the crash, including:
- Failing to give the motorcycle a full lane width – This is also called lane-splitting or lane-sharing. A motorcycle should be treated just like any other vehicle on the road and given an entire lane to maneuver.
- Failing to signal a lane change, traffic merger or turn – Motorcyclists are just like car drivers. They need to know when the driver in front is going to change positions or turn, or else they could run into the vehicle.
- Failing to check mirrors or blind spots – It’s perfectly reasonable to expect car drivers to check for other vehicles, including motorcycles, before they change lanes, merge or turn at an intersection.
- Following too closely – Allowing a three- to four-second distance is reasonable as well. As any motorcyclist knows, you may need to change speed or make a sudden adjustment to avoid potholes, loose gravel or slick spots in the road. Car drivers owe a basic duty to give you the time and space to safely make those adjustments.
At the Mann Law Firm, our Macon motorcycle accident lawyer can review the police reports, witness statements and analysis by our own crash experts to determine whether any of these careless acts by a car driver led to your accident.
OTHER CAUSES OF MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENTS
In addition to investigating the role of the other car involved in your crash, Mann Law Firm can also look at whether other facts may have caused your motorcycle accident, including:
- Defective roads – In some cases, a federal, state or local government entity – or contractors it hired – could be at fault for defective road design, road construction or poor maintenance of the road. For instance, a motorcyclist should be able to travel without hitting potholes.
- Defective motorcycles or parts – In many other cases, an accident can be caused by a poorly designed or constructed motorcycle or parts, such as brakes that fail or tires that blow out. The manufacturer, distributor or retailer may all potentially be held liable.
It’s crucial to examine all of the possible causes of an accident and to consider bringing an action against all parties who can and should be held legally responsible for the injuries you or a loved one has suffered.
GEORGIA LAWS RELEVANT TO A MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT CASE
Here are some important Georgia laws that can affect your case:
- Partial Fault: Even if you were partially at fault for the motorcycle accident, you can still seek compensation under Georgia law. As long as you were less than 50 percent at fault, our attorneys could still recover the percentage of the settlement that the other party was at fault. For instance, a motorcyclist who suffered $100,000 in losses in a crash who was 20 percent at fault could recover $80,000.
- Statute of Limitations: Georgia has a two-year statute of limitations from the time of the crash or death for personal injury and wrongful death cases (C.G.A. § 9-3-33). If you do not file in time, your case will not be heard.
CONTACT OUR EXPERIENCED MOTORCYCLE ACCIDENT ATTORNEY IN MACON
Our team at Mann Law Firm urges all motorcycle riders and passengers to wear helmets on the road. It’s not only required by law in Georgia, but it’s also the safest way to travel. However, we realize that even helmeted drivers can be seriously injured in a crash. In particular, head and spinal cord injuries and loss of limbs frequently occur in these accidents. Our lawyers know what’s at stake: high medical bills, inability to work and earn income, pain and suffering and more. We are committed to seeking the most compensation you can recover.
Many issues can arise in motorcycle accident cases, so seek assistance today from a lawyer with experience representing crash victims. Learn more by calling our Macon motorcycle accident attorney at Mann Law Firm today for your free consultation at (478) 742-3381.
While swimming is always a fun exercise and a good activity for people of all ages, it is also one of the most common causes of accidents in children. According to the World Health Organization, drowning is the third leading cause of unintentional injury death worldwide, accounting for 7% of all injury-related deaths. In this article, we d......