Motorcycle accidents often result in far more damage and injury than those involving cars, trucks and other vehicles in which drivers and passengers are more protected. If you’re in a motorcycle accident, the most important thing to do is to seek immediate medical attention for your injuries.
While the last thing on your mind is litigation, knowing these 5 things can increase your chances of succeeding in a lawsuit, if it comes to that.
- File a police report. It’s important to file a police report to document what happened, how it happened and when it happened. Without a report, the circumstances of a motorcycle accident can turn into a he-said / she-said contest. If the police don’t come to the accident scene, which does happen, then a report should be filed immediately afterward.
- Obtain eyewitness information. Try to obtain the contact information (names, addresses, phone numbers and emails) of anyone who may have witnessed the accident. Having someone to corroborate what happened can often make or break a case – especially if there isn’t a police report.
- Take photos. A picture really can be worth 1,000 words. Take photographs of everything you can – even if it’s just with your cell phone. Make sure to snap numerous pictures of the damaged vehicle and motorcycle as well as any skid marks, visible injury or other damage.
- Keep a diary. Although it may sound odd, documenting how you feel can become an important part of proving your damages. Write down the level of pain you’re experiencing, how you are feeling emotionally, how often you have to be treated for your injuries and how the accident is affecting your life in general. The legal process can take time, and experiences and memories, if not written down, can become distorted over time.
- Contact an experienced motorcycle accident lawyer. An experienced motorcycle accident attorney knows how the legal process works, how insurance companies operate and the steps you need to take to make sure that you get every bit of compensation you’re entitled to, including money for medical bills, lost income, pain and suffering and more.
If you’ve been involved in a motorcycle accident in the Macon, Dublin, Warner Robins or Milledgeville, Georgia area, contact the Mann Law Firm to discuss your situation, determine if you might be entitled to compensation and decide for yourself whether filing a motorcycle injury lawsuit makes sense for you. We’ve been helping bikers obtain the compensation they deserve for over 50 years. Let our experience help you.