- February 12, 2018
- Attorney David Mann
- Personal Injury
If you are a pedestrian around Macon’s Hollingsworth Road, you know this can be a hazardous spot. Fortunately, new sidewalks are coming to the road to increase public safety. Bibb County, Georgia, commissioners recently approved addition of a sidewalk on the busy road between Log Cabin Drive and Robinson Road.
At least one local resident is glad of the coming change. Marcus Thomas stated in a recent newspaper article that he depends on his bike to get around Macon. But Hollingsworth Road has been a problem because there is no sidewalk there currently. Thomas lives off the busy road, and whenever he leaves home, he must ride in the street with traffic. Thomas said the cars are numerous and travel very fast.
Another local resident, Christopher Fields also lives near Hollingsworth Road. He said that cars at night are traveling very fast and he cannot hear them coming until they are past him. Fields said that the new sidewalk will be a welcome change and could prevent serious pedestrian accidents.
According to Bibb Commissioner Al Tillman, many children use the road to access Filmore Thomas Park and New Pilgrim Missionary Baptist Church. He is relieved the sidewalk will be constructed soon to ensure local children are safe from the busy roads. Tillman stated that the county is using $280,000 of taxpayer money to add sidewalks, and engineers are creating the plans for the new safety additions this month.
Hopefully, the added sidewalk will reduce the chance of serious pedestrian accidents in the region. Across the U.S., 5,376 pedestrians died in traffic accidents in 2015. Any safety improvement that can reduce that number is a good thing. If, unfortunately, accidents do occur, it’s essential to contact a pedestrian accident lawyer to understand one’s rights and potential remedies.
Important Safety Tips for Macon Pedestrians
Traffic is getting heavier and heavier in this thriving city south of Atlanta. If you are a pedestrian and must walk in an area with limited sidewalks, remember the following tips:
- Wear clothes that are bright and light colored, with reflective materials if possible.
- Have a flashlight with you if you are walking at night.
- If you are crossing the street at night, use a crosswalk in a well-lit area.
- Stand away from hedges, parked cars, buses, etc., before you cross the street so drivers can see you.
- If there is no sidewalk, walk against traffic so you can see the cars coming.
- Never drink and go for a walk. Walking while impaired always increases the chance of an accident.
- Never assume vehicles will stop. Make careful eye contact with drivers before attempting to cross the street, even at a crosswalk. Be on the look-out for drivers on cell phones who are distracted.
If you are injured as a pedestrian in the Macon area, be sure to speak with an experienced personal injury attorney.
Contact David Mann Today
Macon, Georgia, is a beautiful city to see by foot. Thousands of tourists and permanent residents travel on foot yearly to see the sights. But the danger of getting hit by a car is growing in Macon, especially with all the distracted driving occurring today. If you have been injured in a pedestrian accident in Macon or Middle Georgia, the Mann Law Firm can assist you in obtaining the financial compensation you may be entitled to for your accident injuries. Please contact the Mann Law Firm today at 478-742-3381.