- August 15, 2023
- Attorney David Mann
- Personal Injury
Working at FedEx can be a demanding job. Whether you drive a delivery truck or work in a warehouse, you may be injured while performing your job. Also, a job at FedEx has become more demanding, as customers are shopping online now more than ever, and a lot more packages need to get out the door and into the hands of the consumer. So, if FedEx employs you, you may be asking yourself, what do I do if I am injured while working at FedEx?
If you are injured while working at FedEx, there are certain steps that you should take if you would like to get compensation and other benefits.
The first action you should take if you are injured at FedEx is to get medical help immediately. At this point, your No. 1 concern should be your health and well-being. You, or someone you work with, should call 911 and you should be seen by a medical professional. This may mean going to the nearest hospital or being treated at the FedEx facility by EMT professionals.
Even if you don’t think your injuries are that bad, you should still see a medical professional, as injuries sometimes do not become apparent until a few weeks after the accident. Also, it is important to get medical records that document your injuries, making it easier to connect the injury to the accident at FedEx.
Second, you should report the accident to your manager. Under Georgia law, you have up to 30 days to report your injury to your manager or supervisor. The date and location of the accident should be noted on any written report, even though you do not have to provide written notice.
Just telling a supervisor about the accident is good enough under Georgia law. Also, make sure that your employer files a WC-1 form, as that will be necessary to start the process of obtaining workers’ compensation benefits.
Other important information that you should provide your employer about the incident includes:
- The type of work were you performing when the accident happened
- Names of any witnesses to the accident
- Symptoms you are experiencing due to the accident
- In what part of your body you are experiencing pain or other symptoms.
Third, make sure you document everything that happened at the time of the injury. With today’s technology in the palm of our hands, it should be easy to take pictures of the accident scene and the injuries you sustained. Also, you should take any witnesses’ names and contact information.
Last, you will need someone to have your back and protect your rights. An experienced personal injury lawyer can guide you through the process of getting compensation and other benefits.
Can I Sue FedEx for My Injury?
You may be wondering if you can sue FedEx if you were injured on the job. The short answer is yes. However, if you file a workers’ compensation claim, you give up your right to sue FedEx for certain damages.
For example, you can’t seek damages for pain and suffering or any type of punitive damages, as those types of damages are not available under a workers’ compensation claim.
If you decide to file a workers’ compensation claim with FedEx, there are numerous benefits that may be available to you, depending on your particular case. Some of the benefits you may receive include the following:
- Medical bills – FedEx should provide medical care like physical therapy and other types of treatments you need after being injured on the job.
- Lost wages – Because you may not be able to work after your injury, FedEx must give you payment for lost wages. This will depend on how bad your injuries are.
- Travel expenses – Track your mileage to and from any doctor’s appointments because FedEx will reimburse you under the Georgia Workers’ Compensation law.
Did you know that Georgia’s workers’ compensation program is no-fault? That means that you do not need to prove that anyone was at fault to file a claim. You are eligible for compensation, regardless of whose fault it was. However, there are elements that you will need to prove in order to qualify for a workers’ compensation claim. Those elements include:
- You need to be classified as an employee, not an independent contractor. Only employees are eligible for benefits.
- You need to prove that you have suffered an injury.
- You will have to prove that your injury is related to work. The injury does not have to occur at work. If you are a FedEx driver injured while in the field, you are still eligible to file a claim.
- Your injuries were not caused through horseplay and you were not intoxicated or under the influence of drugs.
- You filed your claim within one year of the date of the accident.
Also, it is important to note that workers’ compensation does not cover numerous causes of injuries. Those causes include the following:
- If you are injured on the job while under the influence of drugs or alcohol, you will probably not get compensation under workers’ compensation.
- If you are injured due to an act of self-harm, you will not be compensated by FedEx.
- If you get into a fight or other type of altercation with a coworker or even with someone who does not work for FedEx, you will probably not get compensated under workers’ compensation. This will happen even if you didn’t provoke the fight.
In addition, it is possible that your workers’ compensation claim will be compromised or denied if you don’t follow certain guidelines. Some of the reasons why there might be an issue with your workers’ compensation claim include:
- If you are believed to be exaggerating your injuries
- If you did not tell workers’ compensation about any pre-existing conditions
- If you have missed important doctor appointments
- If you post information about your injuries on social media, like Facebook or Instagram
- If you did not follow the medical advice given by doctors.
If your workers’ compensation claim was denied, you do have the right to sue FedEx. It is worth contacting an experienced and knowledgeable Georgia workers’ compensation lawyer.
FedEx Employee Injuries
There are many different types of injuries that can occur when you are working at FedEx, depending on the type of job that you have. First, let’s look at some of the causes of work-related injuries that can happen to employees at FedEx.
Most injuries that happen at FedEx occur in two places: in the warehouse, where packages are sorted and loaded, and during the delivery of the packages.
Within the warehouse, the following causes of injuries can happen:
- Pickers who lift different types and weights of objects from the conveyor belts can be injured when they are performing their job. Sometimes packages are heavier than they expect them to be. Also, the sheer volume of the number of packages that they handle can contribute to injuries.
- As in any warehouse, slip and fall injuries can occur.
- Because of the type of machinery used at FedEx, it is possible that workers’ arms and hands could get caught.
- Injuries can be caused while using a forklift.
Outside of the warehouse, the causes of injuries include:
- General truck accidents with other cars or pedestrians
- Injuries due to lifting and carrying the packages
- Dog attacks
- Dangerous streets and sidewalks while delivering a package to a house.
There are many types of injuries that can occur because of the different types of physical work involved at FedEx. Some of those types of injuries include:
- Back injuries from carrying packages
- Neck injuries
- Strains from carrying heavy boxes
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Injuries caused by standing all day
- Other orthopedic injuries.
The Mann Law Firm Can Help with Your FedEx Injury Claim
If you are injured while working at FedEx, either in the warehouse or while driving a delivery truck, the lawyers at The Mann Law Firm can help. Being injured on the job can be stressful and physically and emotionally draining. Let us take over your legal issues so you can concentrate on recovering from your injuries.
We have been representing clients in personal injuries for over 50 years, helping them get the compensation that is rightfully theirs. We manage the complex details of your case, filing the correct documents on time with the courts and negotiating diligently with opposing counsel and insurance companies to make sure you get a fair settlement.
Call The Mann Law Firm today at (478) 742-3381 for a free consultation about your injuries at FedEx.